Château de Cabriac
The Château de Cabriac is situated in Corbières at the foot of the Montagne Noire, in the foothills of the Cevennes. Surrounded by a real crown of pine trees and bathed in the fragrances of resin and the neighbouring Mediterranean scrub, echoing with the insistent sounds of the crickets and dazzled by the intensity of the colours, struck by the size of the moutains,nature has made it a remarkable place.
The Romans recognised this since they built a villa on the site. In 1215 on the same spot the Templars founded a priory dedicated to Saint Martin, of which there are a few remaining vestiges.
During the Revolution, the Château de Cabriac was sold as "church goods" to the Berlioz family, who have owned part of the Abbaye de Lagrasse since the same period. The Marquise de Puivert, last descendant of the Berlioz', left it to her nephews the de Cibeins in 1945.
Jean de Cibeins, the current owner, along with his wife Michèle, is the latest link in the chain to take over the running of the estate. They both have made it a point of honour to cultivate and produce their vines in a sustainable manner in order to protect the surrounding environment.